What really matters? I consider this whenever I fail miserably at what I'm doing. For example, I just failed miserably at an organic chemistry exam. The information didn't have the chance to organize itself on the tip of my fingers. I just needed a little more time to think about it. Unfortunately, I didn't allow myself enough time this semester to think about everything I've dished myself.
I was anxious to graduate. Tuition is increasing, my dad was worried that I wouldn't finish school after I got pregnant, we continue to go into debt, I've been in school for six years, and whatever else I can add to the list of things to worry about..
Margaret Ruth, the love psychic on Radio from Hell, answered a caller's question that I think is quite pertinent to me. The caller had been married for 18 years (not pertinent to me) to a guy that had distanced himself from the family, just goes to work and that's enough to gain respect of the family. The caller was unhappy and wanted to leave her husband, but didn't want to be alone. Margaret Ruth said the caller would be just as unhappy separated from her distanced husband as when she was living in the same house.."consider him as a nice roommate"...and go and make yourself happy independent of what he does, take yoga, meditation, go to the gym.
I feel distanced from my husband, having passed the initial romantic stage when our son was born. Everyone whose been married or in a serious relationship for a while has probably been through this, but it doesn't make it any easier. As time goes by, we diverge further in our interests. To be honest, intimacy is our only common interest, and that at best, is weakening. Actually, we have two interests, intimacy and the result thereof, our son.
I want so much more, but I don't know how to get my hands on it. My parents divorced and my husbands parents live separate lives, so we really don't have strong role models from that direction as far as intimate relationships go. I heard somewhere that if your parents divorced, you have to work twice as hard to prevent the same fate from happening to you. Just like first generation college students, they have to work harder because they don't have parental influence in that direction. What builds a strong marriage? What makes people happy with their lives?
What really matters now and when we turn old and gray? What remains when everything else is gone? The more I live with my son and the more I invest in him, the more I love him and think that he is becoming what matters to me. Most people would say their family is the most important to them, but even Job lost his family and he still had his eternal identity. I'm pretty sure that is why my son matters more to me the more time I spend with him, I begin to see more of his identity.
Given that everything can be lost, all I have is my will and identity and that alone should make me independently happy, no matter what happens.

1 comment:
Hey Kris,
Although there are some things(many things) about marriage I do not understand, I realize life in general has lots of rocky spots and when I make it through something hard, I become stronger the next time. My recent example of this is my decision to move to Ogden. I was very afraid of the big city, crime, being so far from home, and the unknown. It was a struggle to move. But I did it anyway. Now I am faced with another decision which is scary to me (moving). If I don't go for it, I'll never know what might have happened. About marriage, I've heard it is helpful to keep the flame lit by going on dates regularly. I am available to watch K.C.-let me know when you want to go. Michelle
Post a Comment